It’s late out at night. A white man crosses the street and ends up inadvertently sneaking up on a woman who suddenly notices him and startled – she clutches her purse tighter or she makes sure her keys are held a particular way. Or she takes her headphones off or she does any one of of a hundred little things to look out for her safety – maybe she takes a turn to see if she loses White Guy.
It’s late out at night. A black person crosses the street and a white man suddenly notices him and the white man suddenly needs to know right where his wallet is.
Each of those scenarios are definitely things that happen, motivated (likely) by different things.
But….there’s also this scenario:
It’s late out at night. A white woman is walking and a black man crosses the street – she hadn’t noticed him until now so she startles and does her self-protection drill described above.
From this one encounter, she doesn’t know if he’s an Asshole or not – she’s scared of him because he’s generally bigger. But….Black Dude has no way to tell that that is what is going on from this one encounter either – she could be just racist or she could be scared of the man.
I don’t know what the answer is here in the details (Because well, I’m Not Black.) but I do know that it’s a thing that needs talking about. And I’ve seen that scenario come up in discussions a lot but I have yet to see a satisfactory answer to it.
(This also applies to things like Pascal’s Ableism but with some caveats about whether the disability is visible or not and how that interacts with various things)
Now, yes, Margilanised-on-one-axis men already do alter their behaviour to stop setting off certain flags but we do need to discuss to what extent they need to cater to women’s fears and to what extent they don’t.
So, first off, Schrodinger’s Rapist is a shit name. In Schrodinger’s Cat, there is definitely a cat. So yes, you are actually calling All Men Rapists when you use that term. I’m not stupid – I know you don’t mean to. But you know. what? You’re still doing it. A)Intent is not Magic, B)It is pointlessly confusing and C)You’re still on feet here – you need to get off of them.
Pascal’s Rapist is what it should be if you’re actually talking about fear-of-rape and such. Now we have dealt with the person who is just confused about the misleading name. (I mean, it’s apparently about Schrodinger’s Asshole so it’s a misleading name even if you’re not.
Now, onto the Screaming Internet Fights of Schrodinger’s R**(*)ist. Here’s the thing: Women don’t know if this particular man is a rapist or a sexual assaulter. Black people do not know if this particular person is a racist.
Part II is about a Pascal’s R*ist scenario.
Alison has a short course on Coronavirus
How to prepare for Quarantine – Disability
Keep Calm and Practise your Maths Facts -dads worksheets
TIES Offers Free Guided Online Lessons in Evolution
- What To Do If You Are Sick (US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention)
- Tips for Staying at Home if You Are Sick (UK National Health Service)
- 7 Ways to Avoid Misinformation During the Coronavirus Pandemic (Politifact)
- World Health Organization Coronavirus Mythbusters (World Health Organization)
- The Best and Worst Coronavirus Dashboards (MIT Technology Review)
- How Wikipedia Prevents the Spread of Coronavirus Misinformation (Wired)
- List of Free Activities for Kids During School Closings (Kids Activities Blog)
- 8 Tips to Make Working from Home Work for You (National Public Radio)
- COVID-19 could kill the for-profit science publishing model. That would be a good thing. (Los Angeles Times)
- Coronavirus outbreak changes how scientists communicate (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
- How to Manage Anxiety and Isolation During Quarantine (Anxiety and Depression Association of America)
- Coronavirus Kindness: The people offering help as the virus spreads (BBC)
|Instructor’s Guide To Delivering Virtual Training|
Andrea Turner, CPTM Chief Problem Solver of Infopro Learning
|MARCH 24 AT 12:00PM EDT|